About the Project
Socio-Economic Development of the Danube Serbia Region (SEDDSR) is a four-year project designed under the IPA Programme for Serbia. The project intends to exploit socio-economic development opportunities for the Danube-Serbia Region in the context of the EU Strategy for the Danube Region (EUSDR), where Serbia is participating with 14 other EU and non-EU countries which are neighboring the Danube River. This European initiative is focusing on connecting the Danube Region, protecting its environment and building the prosperity for its residents.
The project has a budget of €19.5 million of combined funds from the IPA 2011 programme and the Republic of Austria’s assistance programme. It is implemented by the Austrian Development Agency (ADA), the operational unit of the Austrian Development Cooperation. The project started on 1 July 2012 and is currently scheduled to end on 30 June 2016. Project’s key areas of interest are tourism promotion, private sector’s investment promotion, development of new employment opportunities and increasing the attractiveness of the Danube Serbia Region to foreign investors through infrastructure development. The main national counterpart of the Project is Serbian European Integration Office.
The Danube River passes directly through or by 22 cities and municipalities in Serbia, and is home to over 1.6 million of its residents or 23% of the population in Serbia. In these municipalities, Danube is a great potential for new jobs, wealth creation in transport, agriculture, tourism, utilities and other industries that supply or service them.
Activities within our Project are designed to tackle common problems and drawbacks which hinder the socio-economic advancement of Danube Serbia Region. We aim to enable Serbia’s Danube river bank municipalities to increase competitiveness; create new employment opportunities and raise the attractiveness of the Danube Serbia Region to foreign and local private sector investors through the establishment and development of basic municipal environment and business infrastructure.
Our four year efforts are divided into 5 following components:
- Enhanced socio-economic development and generation of new employment opportunities in local municipalities by improving environment and tourism management along the Danube river through development of new practices and capacities in relation to environment, tourism and potentially SMEs development. Read more
- Improved visibility of the Danube Serbia Region & Danube Serbia Region stakeholders are sensitized and actively engage in socio-economic development initiatives. Read more
- Grant Scheme for inter-municipal projects that will develop socio-economic potentials in local municipalities in the Danube Serbia Region designed and implemented. Read more
- Socio-economic development infrastructure projects of Danube municipalities identified, transparently selected and fully prepared. Read more
- Two infrastructure projects (Golubac Fortress rehabilitation, Veliko Gradište water supply) tendered, contracted and constructed. Read more